Friday, January 30, 2009

Joys of Motherhood

Today was one of those days when I truly love being a mother. Sad to say those days don't happen to often. It seems that I am just trying to get through the day with out yelling at my kids to often and trying to keep the house in order. Recently I started enforcing a chore chart. Though most days it is a struggle to get the kids to do all their chores, today was a day I reaped the reward from all my hard work. Michael and Joseph hurried and made their beds with me only asking them to do it once. And when I was looking for Isabelle to have her make her bed, I found her in her room already working on it. Joseph and Michael were more the happy to help with dishes (usually it is fight to get them there and to finish the job) and Isabelle was excited to help them both do their jobs.
Since we were able to get everything done in half the time it usually takes we were able to spend some time making cookies. It was so fun to measure stuff out and have Michael pour it in while counting how much of everything we put in. Isabelle was the support team and clean up crew. Any sugar that fell on the counter she was more the happy to lick it up. Once we got my Dad home from therapy he joined in and helped put the dough on the cookie sheets. Everyone was rewarded with cookie dough.
Also when we got home from picking up my Dad, I asked Joseph to put away Isabelle's coat. Usually I get the response of "Oh Mom I don't think so". Well today I got a "Sure Mom". Then he proceeded to help her off with her boots and putting them away for her.
It was so nice to have sweet children that were happy to help me out and their siblings. I also came to realize I need to enjoy my children more. I am often caught up in the chaos of trying to get this that and the other done, I don't sit down and enjoy what the Lord as given me.
So here is to Motherhood. One of the hardest and most rewarding things in my life.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks for the reminder!

Mimi said...

I find myself thinking not as positively about motherhood as I should be and I haven't even had the baby yet! I know it's wrong but sometimes it's very hard to stay positive. It's nice to know others have the same struggles as I do. You are a great example to me Missy.