Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oh the Pain

So today I went in and had the inversion done. To tell you the truth is was very very painful. This is how it went. I got there at 11:30. The nurses did all the checking in stuff and hooked me up to a monitor to watch my contractions and one to watch the baby's heart beat. Then we waited awhile for the doctor. The nurse came in and gave me a shot to help relax my uterus. It made my heart race and made me really shaky (in other words I did not like it). Then my amazing doctor, Vigneri, and another doctor,Smothers, came in. They got the ultrasound machine out and figured out where the baby was and what was the best way to turn the little one. So then they started turning the baby. It hurt! I lost my breath and I couldn't even cry it hurt so bad. At one point I even cried out "I can't breath". Dr Vigneri told me I need to start taking deep breaths and try to relax(yeah right). Jeremiah, who is the best at calming me down and helping me breath, couldn't even get near me since the doctors were on either side of me. I remember reaching out my hand to him and only being able to grab his thumb.
Oh in case you are wondering this is how they turn the baby. First Dr. Vigneri figured out where the head was and got his hands positioned around it. While Dr. Smothers figured out where the bum was and got her hand around that. Then at the same time, with a great deal of force, they started pushing the baby in the direction they wanted it to turn.
So they started pushing and it hurt a lot then they stopped to see exactly where the head was and to make sure the baby's heart rate was ok. Well while they were doing this the sweet little baby decided to try to move back to where it was. So when they had stopped pushing the baby was 3/4Th of the way turned and when they checked it, it was only 1/2 of the way turned. So Dr. Vigneri said they would try one more time to turn the baby. They were about to start but I made then wait so I could have some deep breaths and prepare myself again. So once I was ready they started again and in hurt even more ( I am sure it was because I was having a really hard time relaxing, Can you blame me???). But they got the baby's little head down and hurried and check the heart rate again. At this time I am just weeping but once they inform me that the baby's head is down and the heart rate is really good I was able to start settling down. Once they got me all hooked back up to the monitors they left and told me they would watch the baby for at least an hour. I ended up sleeping though most of that. The baby's heart rate was great and by 2:45 I was home. My stomach is still pretty tender. I had to remind the kids over and over that my tummy hurt and they couldn't touch it today. So now we just get to wait for the baby to come. Yippee


So here is a picture of me waiting to get all checked in. And if I do say so myself I think I look pretty good. With this pregnancy I have put on the least amount of weight and I feel pretty good. I have very little swelling and I feel my face isn't super fat like it usually is at this point. You may notice I have my hand out with all five fingers out. We are so exited to be having our 5 baby. So I have 1 week and 3 days until my due date.

8 comments:

Bobbi said...

You certainly do look amazing!!!! I am so thankful the baby is head down. I can't wait to see baby Muldowney #5!!! I was wincing as I read this . . you brave mama!

Ann said...

You do look fantastic, MIssy! So glad they were able to turn the baby, but gosh, how traumatic! Happy vaginal delivery!

KT said...

I am glad it worked! I went in for an inversion with Andrew and the cord was too twisted that they wouldn't even attempt. (Not that I am complaining because I have heard it hurts almost as bad as childbirth.) I think in the end you will be grateful not to have a C-section!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE the picture. You do look sensational. I love it. Congrats on baby number 5!!!!

Kristin said...

You look beautiful Missy! I wish pregnancy looked half that good on me! So glad it worked, and I pray that the birth will be quick and uncomplicated- you've already paid your dues!

Kim said...

That was fun to read about your experience. Glad everything went so well. Super cute picture of you! You look fabulous!

Heather Jeppsen said...

You do look really good. I'm glad they got the baby turned. Sorry it hurt so bad. My neighbor just had to have her baby turned yesterday too. She just decided to flip breech last week. Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures.

Kimberly said...

Wow! I have to admit I was surprised to come home from my trip and find out you hadn't had the baby yet. I'm so glad that everything went well with turning the baby though. And by the way - you look FABULOUS with this pregnancy!