Friday, June 19, 2009

The Great Gates

I just felt the need to post about the Gates family.
Here is the background. Darren and Heather Gates moved to Philadelphia for Darren to finish school. They had two little ones at the time. Well Jeremiah's parents took care of them and helped them out a lot (as Heather tells me).
By the time Jeremiah and I were married, the Gates had moved to Provo and just had their 4th kid. So when we moved down to Provo (2 months after we were married) Darren and Heather took care of us. They helped us find our first apartment. They put us up for a night when we couldn't move into our apartment right away. And through the years they check up on us now and again.
For me Heather was always some one to look up too. She is an amazing women and mother. Very loving and caring. I have always felt at peace in her presence.
This last trip I made to Utah I got to squeeze in a visit to the Gates. We had not seen them since we moved. It was so nice to be back in their home to see their 7 sweet children. When Jeremiah and I got married their oldest boy, Nathaniel, was 11. He is now 19 getting ready to leave on his mission in July. It is amazing to see this family grow. I loved seeing how church minded all the kids are and so giving and loving. I often hope I can be as good as a mother as Heather is. I am thankful to have the Gates in our life. They are truly a blessing to us. As I was leaving, Heather (oh she is so sweet), said "Isn't Missy like family. She is more like and Aunt then just a friend". Well I feel the same way. The Gates will always be family to us. Whether or not Sam and Isabelle get married.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I agree, the Gates' are wonderful. I babysat for them often when they lived in Philly and always think of them as being the kindest, sweetest parents and people in general. Good luck with the matchmaking (you've got 20 years to work on it) :)

Leah said...

I don't believe that any match making has worked out on our side of the family. Kids are so opinionated on those things.