Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Count to Ten

Last night as I was trying to get Isabelle to bed (a very long process because she keeps sneaking up stair to try to sleep with Grandma). Michael came out of his room looking for his baby sister. He is always very concerned for her. So I went and got her out of Grandma's room again (3rd time that night) and as I was heading down stairs I heard a loud crash. I rushed down the stair and there with Michael with his 'I'm in big trouble' face. I asked him what he did and he replied "I didn't mean too", a way to common phrase in our home. So I grabbed his ear (I hate when I do that. I just think about his poor little ear and how mean I am) and asked him what he did again. This time his reply was "I broke your new mirror (a hand mirror that I hide away so things like this don't happen, but not too new) mommy. I am so sorry I didn't mean too". I yelled at him to get into his bed and not to come out and that was such a knotty thing to do and that I was sure he did mean to break it (he break a lot of things and usually on purpose). I got Isabelle back into bed and went and cleaned up the mirror. Since I was cooled down I decided to go talk to Michael about what he did.
Me: Michael why did you break my mirror
Mike: I didn't mean to mommy. Isabelle put it into my backpack(which was laying in bed with him) and I was trying to put it back. I accidentally dropped it and it broke. I am so sorry mommy. I sorry I broke your new mirror I didn't mean too.
As he was saying this his little lips were quivering. Then he leaned over his bed and hugged me. I just melted. I felt so bad. He was trying to be a good boy and it didn't quite work out. I apologized for pulling his ear and yelling at him. I told him how much I loved him and was glad he told me what happened.
While we were talking Isabelle once again snuck upstairs. So I went and got her and told my mom what happened. My mom said "I guess even adults need to count to ten sometimes"
How true. I react to quick to often. What a good lesson I learned last night.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Missy I hope I can be as good a Mommy as you are.

The Bertagnoles said...

you are so cute. I love that you appologize to your kids. I have to tell Kaiden sorry all the time! Mommys aren't perfect I guess huh?