Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm Ridin'

My Grandma Brunner sent this story to my Dad. I enjoyed it so much and it seems to fit my life perfectly.

I'm Ridin'
By Baxter Black, DVM

My Papa told a story form his childhood Dust Bowl days. He was out a'ridin' fences-tryin' to find 'em, anyways, When he saw a cowboy buried in the sand up to his waist. Papa trotted up behind him till he saw the feller's face. "How ya doin?" asked my Papa, carful not to be blindsidin'. The cowboy tipped his hat, looked up and said, "I'm fine. I'm ridin"

As time went by, my Papa grew and finally found a girl. But the big war put him on a shop and clear around the world. Their letters few and far between were sweet in many ways. She would write him love and kisses, and inquire about his days, 'Bout his health and meals and mental state, and how he was abidin',
"Don't worry, Darlin', I'll be home," he said. "I'm fine. I'm ridin'."

Back home they bought a little place and started raisin' cattle and corn and kids and country, never saw life as a battle, but a chance, and opportunity, took the bitter with the sweet. So busy with their daily chores just makin' loose ends meet. Sometimes they'd pass each other like two ships at sea a glidin'. He'd peck her cheek, she'd squeeze his hand,
"We're fine," they'd say. "We're ridin'."

Their life went by and they got old, ad then she had a stroke. He held her till the medics came but ne'er a word she spoke. He prayed like he had never prayed to heal the one he loved. And when the wheelchair brought her home he thanked the Lord above.
"I've been so worried," he said in tears. her smile began to widen. He touched her face and read her lips,
"I'm fine," she said. "I'm ridin'."

Some will see their life half empty, some will see their cup half full. Some will only open one eye and find living miserable. But if yer fine and ridin', you can see and you can plan 'Cause life's got a lot to offer, if yer head's not in the sand.


People often ask my Mom, Jeremiah, and me how we handle all that we have been given. I often reply with a "You do what you have to do". I find when I gripe and complain about my life it seems that much harder. When I look around me I realize my life isn't that bad. Sure I have my trials but who doesn't. My trials are nothing compared to others. And look at what I have.
A very loving husband. 4 beautiful and life loving kids. A warm house over our heads. A loving father and mother. An amazing set of in-laws. My childeren have to chance to really get to know a set of their grandparents. I get to spend quailty time with my father, which at one point I wasn't sure if I was going to see him again until the next life. One of my biggest blessing is an eternal family. I know I will be sealed to my family for all eternity. I think that is what keeps my head above the sand. "I'm fine, I'm ridin".

6 comments:

Kristin said...

You're so right Missy. We are much happier when we recognize our trials for the blessing they bring. Thanks for the reminder!

Stephanie said...

That's just what I needed. Thanks for posting that. I know what you mean about keeping your head above the sand. The simplest things remind us of all that we have to be thankful for. Like your post! Thanks

Mickelle said...

Your actions and words are inspiring! I had a total downer of a day yesterday; this helps. Love you.

Christie said...

I felt like I should check out your blog. Your story made my day! Thanks for sharing.

The Twelve Tribes of Muldowney said...

Love you Missy! Mom Muldowney

Mike, Katie, Annali and Londyn said...

That was an awesome story and put things right into perspective. I always feel even when we are given trials I can always think of something worse happeneing. That often changes my attitude about whatever I am being challenged with. Loved the story though.