Saturday, November 1, 2008

Black Cats and Dead Man Over Worms.

Can I tell you how much I LOVE HALLOWEEN. I found some new recipes to use for treats and meals. I love to do anything that make Halloween more fun.
Dead Man Over Worms I found on Emeril Live.
It was so fun to make and serve. Everyone thought it was a bit desturbing but it tasted great.

I didn't get a picture of it when I served it but thought this was a great pic.

Dead Man Over Worms
Ingredients
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2 slices French bread torn into pieces
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup shredded Cheddar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bouquet garni ( I am not sure what this was so I didn't use it)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1(16 ounce) package spaghetti noodles
Topping:
1 cup tomato ketchup
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, bread, and oatmeal. Stir in carrots, onions, cheese, herbs, and seasonings. Add beef and sausage and mix well. In a shallow baking dish, shape beef mixture into the shape of a body. Round ball for head, oval shape for body, mounding up for tummy. Shape arms and place next to body. Shape legs and place next to each other, not apart. Smooth meatloaf so the "seams" are not apparent. Bake for 45 minutes, until meat is cooked through.
While baking combine topping ingredients. Cook spaghetti noodles, according to package directions, rinse and set aside. After 45 minutes, spoon half of the topping over the meatloaf. Return to the oven and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes

My friend had the recipe for Black Cat Cookies on her Blog and I couldn't resist.

This one Jeremiah made for Julia

I thought these were fun and adorable but the kids couldn't help to much. Maybe in a year or two when I can feel more comfortable about them helping around the oven.

Black Cat Cookies
INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 wooden craft sticks
48 pieces candy corn
24 red-hot candies (I used M&Ms instead)
DIRECTIONS
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
2. Insert a wooden stick into each cookie. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Pinch top of cookie to form ears. For whiskers, press a fork twice into each cookie. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from the oven; immediately press on candy corn for eyes and red-hots for noses. Remove to wire racks to cool.

For Halloween Dinner we are having Dinner in a Pumpkin.

5 comments:

Mel said...

i love it! what great ideas i will have to steal and do next year! thanks for sharing!

Darlene, Brian and Fam said...

Missy~you are hilarious!! It looked alot of fun and really creative. I need to do things like that with my kids when they get a little older and understand! Thanks for the inspiration and recipes!

Mickelle said...

Scott read your entry and is dying for me to make this recipe now!

Also, we'll try out this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kitty-Litter-Cake/Detail.aspx

Mimi said...

Dead Man Over Worms, that's pretty awesome. Not sure if I could eat it though.

Katherine said...

Missy, that seriously looks disgusting. I couldn't eat it even if it tasted good. I miss you sooo much! Come back soon.