Sunday, October 25, 2009

Canning

This year I have taken up canning. It was so fun to do.My mom even bought me a special canning book that helped out a lot. I don't think you will understand the joy until you have spent a couple hours in the kitchen peeling, pitting and cutting up your fruit to prepare for the jars. Then when you are all finished and have jars of beautiful golden peaches and other yummy fruits sitting on your table it is just sheer joy. It is so wonderful that I know I can do this and if anything arises I have this new talent under my belt. It was also so nice to control how much sugar and such was put into it. I use a light syrup on the peaches and pears. I was considering using juice but the books said that they don't keep their taste, color, and shape as well in juice.
The apple sauce is sugar free in delicious.
My sister-in-law Ann gave me this great recipe for apple butter that is also sugar free. It calls for honey instead. I started using unfiltered raw honey that is so much better for you.
I have some more apples waiting for the works so I can make more applesauce and apple butter. Next year I have big plans for salsa and sugar free jams.

8 comments:

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

That is awesome! They look beautiful, and tasty!

Amanda said...

I love canning fruit! Well, the process isn't my favorite, but I, too, love looking at the results. That peachy colored liquid at the bottom of the peaches is my favorite! I think it's the most beautiful color.

As for the sugar-free jams, I hope that goes well for you! We made sugar-free strawberry freezer jam a few years back. We used white grape juice as the sweetener. And, it turned out OK but it just wasn't that great. But, we ended up stirring a container of sugared jam in with the non-sugar jam and that was just about perfect. I hope you have better luck with yours!

Kristin said...

Why don't you pack some up and send it my way! Something I need to re-learn to do too- yours look great!

Bobbi said...

Oh I LOVE canning, yours looks fabulous!

Bobbi said...

Oh I LOVE canning, yours looks fabulous!

The Bertagnoles said...

WOW! I need to take up canning! I am like you and try to do sugar free and preservative free as much as possible so canning would be great! Looks like you are quite the pro for just having started! Great job!

Leah said...

Just finished my last batch of apples myself. It's nice to have it done.

Mickelle said...

Scott is dying to get into canning. He'll chew your ear off about it next time you visit. ...When is that? I'm dying!