Sunday, September 27, 2009

Long Weekend

I don't often feel like this but I am so glad this weekend is over. We had a very exciting (not in a good way) weekend. It started off with a trip to the emergency room. Joseph started coughing some on Thursday evening. By Friday after school he was wheezing pretty bad. I tried to give him and nebulizer treatment but I couldn't find one part to it. So I had to give him his inhaler but that didn't help much. I ran to two pharmacy's who either couldn't sell it to me because I didn't use their pharmacy or because they just didn't have it. So I went home once more and tore apart my bathroom looking for the one part with no luck. I finally sat down and thought hard of where that part could be. It finally dawned on me where it was and I finally go him a treatment at 8pm. Usually he is breathing a lot better by the time his treatment is over but not this time. Within a half an hour he breathing was pretty hard again. And he told me he couldn't breath. So after calling Jeremiah at work and watching him for a little while I took him to the ER. (This is not the first time we have had to do this. We were actually there in August while out east)
They measured his breathing and it was at an 88. It is suppose to be at least a 92 and that's pushing it. So we were emitted in the ER. He was put on oxygen right away and gave him an IV. They ran a whole bunch of blood, urine and snot test on him and did a chest x-ray. Which we have never had any of that done before. Luckily everything came back negative. So after watching him for awhile and giving him some treatments they decided he needed to be emitted into the hospital.
So around 3AM they brought us to a new room. Jeremiah headed home around 3:30 and after they got everything situated I fell asleep at 4AM. They were back in doing test at 6AM so from then on I was in and out of sleep. The rest of the day was long and boring. The doctor came in and said he could go home once he could breath fine with out oxygen. Jeremiah brought the other kids in to visit. And my brother Daniel came in to help Jeremiah give Joseph a blessing. Jeremiah came in and traded me out around 1pm and I headed home for a day of canning peaches (next post). We were hoping Joseph would be home by supper but he just wasn't improving fast enough. They were able to take him off oxygen in the evening but kept him over night for observation. This morning they had to wait for the doctor to come sign him out. So at noon today Joseph came home. The said with all the medications he was on for his eyes, his immune system is really down. So when he got sick it was fast and bad. We were told we need to get him on a steroid treatment or else we will be in the hospital a lot this winter. Yeah one more medication on his list. It is so nice to have him home tonight. He is breathing really well and is very chipper.

6 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

You guys have really been put through the ringer. I am glad he is home. I hope everything looks up for you guys soon!

Kristin said...

What a scary weekend! Happy to hear he is doing better--- and I hope he is able to stay well through the long winter. At least you don't have swine flu running rampant there.

Stephanie said...

Blah, that sucks. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Just to let you know, we really believe that Advair changed Caden's life. If you're interested, talk to Randy. That was his baby when he worked for GSK. He can tell you all about it. I hope you can get it under control. No more ER visits:)

Christie said...

Glad he's OK. Hope everyone can catch some zzzzzs!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

That is so scary! We hope that he continues to improve. Your family is in our prayers.

Kate Challis said...

I'm sorry. That sounds really really stressful. I'm sorry he has to be on all those meds. It's no fun for anybody.