Monday, January 17, 2011

Fun in the Mud

Today as I was rocking Rose to sleep for a nap, Michael came home from the park covered in mud and with no boots on.
“Michael” I asked “what happened and where are your boots?”
“Well mommy Joseph had a very bad idea. He took us to a mud pile and we got muddy and my boots are stuck.”
I chose right then not to yell, though I was very tempted. I remember going out to the fields one day when I was about their age. My sister, a friend and I found a muddy pond. Well of course we jumped in and played in it for about an hour. We came home with mud covering our bodies.
So I told Michael to take everything off and get some new clothes and take a shower. Soon Joseph came home. Of course he was even muddier. First thing out of his mouth “Mommy I got muddy”
“Well I can see that Joseph take off your stuff and get into the tub”
From the bathroom came “Don’t worry Joseph Mom is not mad”
Hmmm interesting. “Joseph where are Michaels boots? And where is William?”
“Michaels boot are stuck and we can’t get them out and William is still playing”
I got the boys started in the shower, though they wanted a bath. After a couple minutes I got worried that William was still not back so I got on my coat and boots to go find him.

I made it all the way to the park before I saw him. He had even more mud then Michael and Joseph combined.
“Oh mommy (with tears in his eyes) I got stuck and I couldn’t get out and Michaels boots are stuck.”
By now I was laughing
“Ok show me where his boots are.”
He led me to a huge, and I mean HUGE mud pile. Bigger then the lot our house sits on. At first we couldn’t find the boot. I made William got out to get them since he was covered with mud and I was not. Poor William tried to pull them out but couldn’t and he started slipping and got a bit stuck again. So I had to go out and get my boots muddy and tried to pull out of the boots. Needless to say I am covered with mud and the boots are still in the mud pile.
William started crying “We need to call Daddy and he will get them out.” Because of course Daddy is all powerful. I love that my kids think so.
“Ok William lets get home and when Daddy get home we will send him down to get the boots”
All the way home William was crying “oh my stupid boots” He was having a hard time walking with his boots and snow pants caked with mud.
When we got home of course I had to get a picture. Then I sent William to the bathroom to take a shower. I heard him crying about wanting a bath and not a shower. I had to explain to him he had so much mud on him he would be taking a mud bath so he needed to take a shower.
So today the boys will be cleaning my bathroom which is now covered in mud (good thing I was going to clean it today) and my front door. What a great day to have off of school.



6 comments:

Ann said...

Holy cow! Good luck getting those boots out of the mud and getting those clothes clean!

Heather Jeppsen said...

I think I would have had the same reaction you did. (wanting to yell, but by the end, laughing)It's pretty funny though. Poor William. I'm just glad I don't have to clean up the mess!

Mimi said...

You weren't lying when you said he was covered in mud. Did you ever get the boots out?

Leah said...

Good job Missy, it's hard to forget sometimes that a little or a lot of dirt is just harmless fun.

Missy said...

When Jeremiah came home he headed down to the mud pit with a shovel and got them out. I don't know if we can ever get them clean. They have mud inside. It took me 3 rinse cycles and 2 wash cycles to get the clothes clean. The boys were worried they wouldn't have coats for school today. I was a bit worried too.

Emma said...

Wow! That is a lot of mud. Way to keep your cool, Missy. I think I'd yell at my kids less if I took the time to remember what it was like to be a kid. It looks as though the boys had a blast, but also learned a bit of a lesson.